Big Up for the Week

Big Up for the Week

This week we want to Big Up all our fans from Vietnam and Germany thanks for the support especially in these challenging times of the global pandemic.

Music is the Strength through all of this ONE LOVE

Tell us about your music +add us to your mailing list + link me at bigtingsmusic@gmail.com

Thursday, March 7, 2019

ALL NIGHT LONG 35 Years Strong and the Jamaican Connection

Whaddup Whaddup Mad Peeps, its TGIF Time to Get Fresh Friday

I found this interesting mix of old and new. You all know Lionel Ritchie, lead singer of the Commodores (old school) and for the Millenial generation more popularly know as Nicole Ritchie's dad or that judge from American Idol (new school).

Well can you imagine his perennial hit song All Night Long is now 35 years old . Lets revist this claissic for a quick minute. Featuring a young Boogaloo Shrimp from Breakin.

Bet you did know that the title was inspired by a Jamaican, yes indeed my Uncle Dr Loyd Greig who is good friends with Lionel Ritchie.

 Taken  from New York Post Five Surprising Facts about Richie's classic ‘All Night Long’

1. The title was inadvertently inspired by a Jamaican gynecologist.
“It was the first time I’ve ever written a song where I didn’t have a hook. It took me months to find one,” says Richie. “If the song is called ‘Easy,’ you write ‘easy’ first. Then you work from there. I wrote everything — ‘Well my friend, the time has come,’ ‘Fiesta, forever’ — and I still didn’t have a hook.”
After nearly three months of struggle, the singer had a eureka moment when dining with his friend Lloyd Greig, a Jamaican born physician. “I was leaving his house, and I said [in a Jamaican accent], ‘I’m going back to work all night long.’ Then I said, ‘Wait a minute. “All Night Long.” ’ He looked at me like I was nuts. Sometimes, by not thinking, you find exactly what you want.”

There you go Greigs are muses for musical greatness ;-)

But even more maaad cool is that British Producers, DVRX have sampled the chorus (time 2:00 in the orginal video ) and made it into a 2019 Dance Classic" Jambo Jumbo"

Enjoy this Jammin to the Wknd....MAAAAD





No comments:

Post a Comment